"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center." - Vonnegut



Sunday, September 18, 2011

I really like it here.

I have been in Corvallis, Oregon for about a week now. I really like it here.

It has been a difficult transition, but not as difficult as living in China. It's nice that people speak English in Oregon. It's nice that grocery stores have bread here. It's nice that I can pick up my cell phone and call my friends and family here. I made the mistake of comparing this move to my move to China. That was a dumb idea. They are nothing alike.
I live with a really awesome married couple and their two dogs, Jackson and Felicity. Last night was the first time I met other graduate students. Everyone is so interesting and interested in the world around them. It's refreshing to hear such passion.
Oddly enough, there are 3 other students from Ohio.

I am so excited about my future here.

1 comment:

Jennifer Armstrong said...

yeah, this is definitely NOT like moving to china hahah everyone at least can speak english (hopefully) and is therefore a possible friend!! i like thinking about it like that... instead of you being 3000 miles away from me--AGAIN!! hahaha why cant we move 2 hours away from our families and friends?!? ... it is always other continents, countries, or across the WHOLE U.S.A for us hahaha no middle ground apparently. LOTS OF LOVE